Toxic Foods for Pets
As pet parents, our number one priority is keeping our furry friends safe. That being said, many of the foods we enjoy on a daily basis can be toxic, even deadly, if ingested by our pets. In this article, we’ll go over some of the most common toxic foods for pets, as well as some tips for getting your fur baby the help they need in the event of an emergency.
Common Toxic Foods for Pets
Here are a couple of toxic foods you’ll want to keep away from your dog at all costs.
Chocolate and other caffeinated products contain a compound called methylxanthine which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and tremors in pets. Generally speaking, the higher the cocoa content, the more toxic it is. Therefore, dark chocolate is more dangerous than milk.
Citric acid in oranges, lemons, and grapefruits can irritate your pet’s stomach and even affect their central nervous system. It is also important to keep essential oils far away from your pet to prevent ingestion.
Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in some pets, so keep them tucked safely away from your beloved fur baby.
- Dairy Products
Pets don’t have lactase which helps break down dairy products. Consumption can cause strong stomach upset, diarrhea, and intense irritation.
- Garlic and Onions
These herbs may be great for seasoning, but they can cause serious intestinal problems for your pet.
- Leftover Bones
It may feel natural to give your pet a leftover bone from cooked meat. However, bones that aren’t pet-proofed (like dog bones you’d buy from the pet store) can easily break off and become a serious choking hazard for your pet.
- Salt and Sugar
In general, it’s not a good idea to give your pet anything with salt or sugar. These substances can cause extreme dehydration and irritation to your pet. In some cases, ingesting a large amount of sodium or sugar can lead to serious food poisoning for pets.
- Raw Meats
Though some owners will give their pets raw meat, this can be a super dangerous practice. Meats that haven’t been cooked are subject to common bacteria like E.Coli and others that could seriously harm your furry friend.
What to Do If Your Pet Eats Toxic Foods
When your pet consumes something they shouldn’t, it can be super scary. Follow these simple instructions to get Spot the care he needs.
1. Secure Your Pet
As soon as you notice your pet has eaten something toxic, take them to a safe area, like a crate or kennel, where they’ll be kept comfortable while you handle the situation. Don’t worry about cleanup right away— Make sure your pet is safe first.
2. Call A Professional
Even if it’s a small amount, it’s always better to be safe than sorry. Call your veterinarian and ask for their advice. If it’s after hours, you can call the pet poison hotline at 888-426-4435. Do not induce vomiting without being instructed by a pet professional.
3. Take Careful Note of What Was Ingested
Once you know your pet is not in immediate danger, take careful note of what was ingested, how much, and if possible, over what period of time. This will be super helpful when describing your situation to the veterinarian in-person.
4. Watch Your Pet Carefully
While you receive needed outside care or assist in your pet’s recovery, watch their behavior carefully that may indicate any sign of distress or abnormal behavior. You know your pet better than anyone, so be as diligent as possible.
When a beloved pet ingests a toxic food, it can be super scary. While the best solution is to proactively protect your pet from these foods, accidents do happen. Do your best to keep your pet safe by restricting access to these common foods in your home.
Leave a Reply
Your email is safe with us.
You must be logged in to post a comment.